Sunday, April 15, 2018

UPDATES!!!

It's been a while since I wrote anything about dining on Garey Avenue. In reality I thought I was done with it after I had eaten, over the coarse of a year, at all 57 of the restaurants from the 60 freeway to Foothill Blvd. I did have an update when there were some changes at De Anda Tacos in December of 2016, and now I have a couple of additional updates (I guess this will never end--sigh).

Alberto's now Angeles--2068 N Garey Ave Pomona, CA 91767

As I stated in my original review, Albertos is one of those places where the Lovely Mrs. C. and I periodically use the drive thru to get some super nachos on those occasions when we just want something quick and easy for dinner. However, recently I was driving by and noticed that the sign no longer read Albertos but now read Angeles.


While the name is different, nothing else appears to have changed. The sign maintains the same color scheme, the large drive-thru menu board appears to be exactly the same, and the interior is the same as I reported in 2016. 

Since the name change I've visited twice. The first time was shortly after I saw the name change and decided to stop in for lunch. After looking at the familiar menu, I decided on the ultimate hybrid Mexican/American meal, Super Fries. These are similar to the Super Nachos except instead of the fried tortilla chips, the base of the meal is french fries. The meal had the same carne asada, avocado, cheese, crema (or sour cream), beans, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed it along with a diet coke.

The second time was a drive-thru run for our traditional Super Nachos. This time I was taking it home to split with the Lovely Mrs. C. She, being concerned and not a fan of change, declared this version to be in some way superior to Alberto's. In trying to define why it was superior, we kind of hit on the idea that the carne asada was more plentiful and seemed to be better seasoned.

A quick check on yelp showed me that the former Alberto's on west Holt is also an Angeles, but as far as I can tell, the Alberto's on Reservoir still retains the Alberto's moniker.


O'Donovan's under new Ownership--2068 N Garey Ave Pomona, CA 91767

While I was a fairly frequent diner at O'Donovan's under the original ownership, it appeared that in the past couple of years they were struggling which also seemed to be a struggle for identity. They had taken to only opening the upstairs dining room on weekend evenings and gearing more toward the downstairs pub, including making the menu more "pub friendly."

The new owners have remodeled the upstairs dining room adding a small bar so you don't have to wonder where your waiter was as they ran downstairs and brought your drinks up. They've also tightened up and made some changes to their menu. They have kept the sense of an Irish pub with sausage and mash as well as shepherd's pie (although it's made with chucky beef rather than lamb so it's more of a cowherd's pie, but that's picking nit, it's still very good). The fish and chips that have been on the menu since the beginning has been improved with a better fish and crispier fries. To this they've added, among other items, a pulled-pork quesadilla which those who've ordered it have been enthusiastic about, as well as loaded fires or Tater Tots.

If you have eaten there and were disappointed, it may be time to give them another chance. They have indicated that they are in the process of refining the menu and may be adding some additional items in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment