Monday, November 7, 2016

Juan Pollo #44 -- 2233 N Garey Ave Pomona, CA 91767

My Meal Cost: $7.62. Health Rating A. Yelp 3 stars




Here it is the day before the elections and this week I visited another Juan Pollo in the shopping center at the south-west corner of Garey and Arrow Hwy. This center is anchored by a Dollar General Market and LA County offices, as well as a dry cleaner and a gift shop.


My visit coincided with some spucing up of the center so I had to work my way around the painters and ladders.


This location doesn't have the charm of the historic building downtown (see my post on that site here). AND, it doesn't have the rotisseries with the spinning chickens in the window, but tucked back behind the counter area where they're not really visible. So there was not the anticipation of seeing the chicken dripping its juices and in the various stages of cooking.


However, the dining room is quite large and uncrowded (they could easily fit three more tables in here and you still wouldn't feel cramped. The space was clean and had murals at the one end which made it a quite comfortable place to sit and enjoy a lunch or dinner. The lunch crowd was steady with both dine-in and take out patrons.


I'm afraid that I didn't check the blog post from my earlier visit to Juan Pollo before venturing out here and so forgot that I had ordered the lunch special. In my pre-election state I just ordered what looked like the best deal so there is not a whole lot new to say about the food. Except: At this location, the very friendly counter worker had my order ready by the time that I sat down at the table. I don't think this was a good thing as it seemed that the meal must have been sitting back there ready when I walked up. I'm not sure how long it had been sitting, but the chicken's skin was a bit greasy and limp instead of the crispy skin that I was hoping for (although the spices made it quite tasty). However, the chicken flesh itself was somewhat dry and needed the help of the salsa. This time I did order the hot salsa and it was quite spicy. Adding it to the rice may have made the fairly dry white rice a bit too spicy. Since I don't mind, it was OK, but for flavoring my rice I would actually have preferred something a little milder. Just a preference. As in my previous post, the potato salad was good. The cold creaminess a nice contrast to the chicken and the rice.

Again, not a bad experience but not a home run. I think I'd vote for it, but not enthusiastically.

UP NEXT:  Pancakes R Us


No comments:

Post a Comment