Monday, April 25, 2016

CHANGED OWNERSHIP, Now VIc's Tacos | Taqueria De Anda--1690 S Garey Ave Pomona, CA 91766

De Anda has gone out and been replaced by Vic's Tacos. See updated post HERE.


My Meal Cost: $5.57. Health Rating A. Yelp 3.5 stars



I became aware of De Anda Taqueria when I went to a Pomona Library event in 2014 to hear "Ask A Mexican" columnist from the OC Weekly, Gustavo Arellano talk about his book Taco USA: How Mexican Food Conquered America. Because he was an OC guy, he had nothing but good things to say about what he has called "The Carls Jr of Mexican food." The small chain's only IE location is this Pomona venue, with its other locations being in Anaheim, Placentia, and three in Santa Ana.



And this one does remind one of Carl's Jr. with nice clean seating, a counter for ordering and paying, although they don't have serve-yourself beverages and I didn't see a salsa bar. Business for a Monday lunch was lively both inside and at the drive-thru.

I decided that I should compare the tacos with the others that I've written about in this space so I ordered two tacos, a Buche (beef head) and a Lengua (tongue), along with a side of beans and rice (both came side-by-side in a single Styrofoam cup). I did ask for some cheese for my side and took advantage of the self-serve radishes and onions (they also asked me if I'd like some grilled onions). In addition to tacos they have burritos, quesadillas, and a selection of agua frescas. Any item can be made from asada (steak), tripe, chicken, carnitas, or al pastor, in addition to the buche and lengua.


The tacos were traditional street tacos, meat and condiments on two small corn tortillas. No crunchy tacos here. The rice and beans were very flavorful although I would have liked a little salsa or at least a splash of Tapatio or other hot sauce, especially for the rice (but that's just me).

All-in-all a good taco experience that I wouldn't mind trying again some time.

UP NEXT: Hong Kong Express






No comments:

Post a Comment